Friday 19 June 2015

Chapter Fifteen: Story of my life part two

Strolling into the beautiful New York Palace Hotel lobby I realize how different Christians life is. With beautiful crystal chandeliers and brilliant golden staircase, I am reminded of a movie scene where the rich man takes the destitute young lady to an extravagant gathering. It made me seem pitiful in a way knowing I didn't have a place here and soon it will come to an end. Pushing my negative thoughts out of my mind, I scan the room. This place was unbelievable. It's nothing I could ever pay for, yet today I am eager to overlook that and appreciate this time with Christian. The lobby was loaded with well-dressed individuals. I gulped hard, attempting to maintain a strong demeanor. As if Christian could read my thoughts, a hand comes around pulling me closer to him. His lips touch my ear delicately as he whispers words of encouragement. I move closer, never wanting to be out of his arms. I grin at the feeling of his lips touching my sensitive skin.

"Shall we?" He asks, pointing towards the stairs.

"Yes, lets before I change my mind," I answer scared.

"Relax, it's going to be fine; give me your hand."

I do as he asks and place my hand in his, cherishing the feeling it gives me when he leads me up the stairs, turning regularly to check if I'm alright. When we arrived inside the ballroom, I look around wide-eyed, at how enormous it is. At least 20 tables surround the room with rich centerpieces and people casually conversing. A man stands by the bar tasting extravagant beverages. Servers stroll around the room offering expensive champagne. It made me wonder just how much money was being spent while thousands of were homeless with nothing to eat.

"Champagne?" The server asked Christian.

"No thank you,"He said, making me like him so much more for wanting to stay away from alcohol for me.

"Christian don't feel like you have to turn it down because of me."

"No, I would prefer sparkling water and cranberry." I grin as I recollect the time at the spa when he requested them to serve me that.

"I wouldn't mine having one myself," I answered and snickering.

"Then I'll be right back." Kissing my hand, he makes his way through the crowd to the bar.

I stand there feeling awkward not knowing anyone until my eyes caught Brianna, wearing a beautiful white dress. If it wasn't for the fact that I dislike her so much I would say she looked good. She is walking towards me and I mentally ready myself to face this rude woman.

"Look who it is... " Eyeing me up and down, chuckling at me she says.

"Brianna." Just saying her name sends an acrid taste to my mouth.

"Why are you here; this is without a doubt, not a gathering for someone like you. However, that is an adorable dress I think I have one just like it." She giggled.

"I'm here with Christian." There bitch, be jealous. Her eyes fill with a strong painful feeling that I'm not sure was pure anger or pain.

"You know the only reason he brought you is because he feels bad for you. Since, you know, you're homeless and all." Sipping her champagne, she stares at me. I battle the urge to snatch her by the hair, pulling her around the room.

I'm not certain whether I was upset at her words or knowing Christian told her about me being homeless, or because he's been talking to her. It makes me extremely jealous.

"He told you?" I asked turning my head to where Christian is standing at the bar.

"He didn't have to, it's not hard to tell,"She says rolling her eyes at me. "You're not the girl for him, I am and he will see that soon enough. So, save yourself the heartbreak and get out of our way," She hisses, moving past me making her way to Christian.

However, as soon as Christian saw my face expression he dismissed her completely and came over to me.

"What's wrong Ana?" He asks.

"Nothing," I said taking my drink out his hand trying to swallow away all the annoyance.

~.~.~

After meeting a few people, Christian led us to our table. He pulls my chair out and waits for me to take a seat. He then sits down next to me. I gaze at him looking around the room and I wonder just who he's looking for, until a huge smile takes over his beautiful face.

"Ana, I'd like to introduce you to my brother Elliott and his wife, Eva," Christian says waiting for the cute blonde to sit down.

"Nice to meet you," She says before I can say anything.

I nod my head "Nice to meet you too," I say extremely timid.

"So you're the girl my bro can't stop talking about." Elliott snickers and takes the seat next to Christian, patting him on the back.

"Elliott," Christian says, warning him.

"What, it's the truth. We couldn't wait to meet you Ana. You see, my brother doesn't bring woman around often. Right Eva?"

"Yes, " She answers taking a glass of champagne from the server.

"Do you know where mom and dad are?" He asks in an obvious attempt to change the conversation.

"We saw them by the entrance," Elliott answers placing his hand on the back of his wife's chair. "I'm sure they'll be here shortly."

I am surprised that Christian calls Carrick dad. I know he helped him when he didn't have anyone, but I didn't know they had a very close relationship."Wow, Ana I love your dress." Eva butts into the conversation getting my attention. "Who's the designer?"

Designer? What the heck is she talking about?

"Hmm..." I don't want to sound stupid, but I don't know how to answer.

"Gucci." Christian answers.

Without saying anything more Eva smiles politely at me and I actually really like her.

"There they are," Eva says eyeing someone from behind me.

As I slowly turn around, my eyes see an older couple and I immediately know it's Carrick and Grace. Christian stands up as do I, not wanting to look rude.

"Christian, darling, I'm so glad you made it." Grace embraces him and I take a second to really look at her.

"Mom, Dad this is Anastasia Steele." Reaching out to shake Carrick's hand, I am astonished when he pulls me in for a hug.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Miss Steele," He says making me blush. For someone his age, he's very handsome.

"Please call me Ana."

Moving aside, Grace hugs me too and I suddenly feel very welcome.

"I'm glad I finally get to meet you. Christian has talked about you a lot," She says holding me at arms length.

"Mom." Christian scowls, which makes me snicker at how uncomfortable he seems.

~.~.~

Dinner was delicious; it was a four-course meal. The mandarin salad was delicious and I make a mental note to find out how to make it. When dessert arrives, I lick my lips in anticipation at the strawberry and dark chocolate cake. Listening to the conversations around me, I am enjoying myself. I smile at the lovely music and when Christian's dad takes the stage I listen to everything he says. I am glad this isn't just a party; they are raising money for teens who are homeless to give them a place to live and food to eat. Christian reaches for my hand and squeezes tightly. After a round of applause, Carrick comes back to the table and Grace stands up to kiss her husband. Reaching for her hand, he leads her to the dance floor.

"May I have this dance Ana?" Christian asks.

I nod and stand to follow him to the dance floor. I am a bit nervous since I am not a good dancer. I place my hand on Christian and he puts his hands on my waist, pulling me closer. His delightful, minty smell invades my nose and I am in paradise, enjoying every moment..

"Are you having fun Ana?" He asks, whispering close to my ear.

"Yes, thank you for inviting me," I answer, my blue eyes looking into his gray.

Lowering my head to his chest, I let the music take me over. Listening to the beautiful lyrics.

Take me into your loving arms
Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars
Place your head on my beating heart
I'm thinking out loud
That maybe we found love right where we are


This is a fairy tale... Christian is my prince charming and for once in my life I think nothing will ever be the same and I am okay with that. When the song comes to an end, a beautiful tall, woman with dark hair cut into a bob stands beside us. I wonder who she is.

"Mia." Christian lets go off me and embraces her. "This is Anastasia Steele."

Her soft hazel eyes looking at me, she gives me a hug and kisses my left cheek." I'm glad you came," she tells me.

"Me too, I say.

"Ana would you mind if I have this dance with my brother?"

"Not at all, I have to use the restroom anyway," I respond.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Christian asks.

"No... I'm sure I'll find it." Walking away, I search for the bathroom.

~.~.~

After taking care of business, I wash my hands and check my make-up. Cleaning my face, I try getting rid of my raccoon eyes. When I look fresh and beautiful again, I fix my hair and make my way out. I can see Christian dancing with his mom now and I smile at the heartwarming scene. I decided to head to the bar for a drink, it was hot in here and I want something cold. When I get there, I find Eva sipping a glass with brown liquid.

"Can I have a sparkling water and cranberry juice, please," I ask the bartender, who then gives me a "what the hell" look. He was probably thinking why I am at a party with amazing alcohol and I'm asking for juice. Nodding, he pours my drink.

"So how did you met Christian?" Eva asks.

Thanking the bartender, I turn around and follow Eva. "Hmm... At a party." It wasn't a complete lie. Suddenly I feel like eyes were on me. I scan the room for Christian until my eyes catch a glimpse of the last person I hope I'd never see again.

"Ana, are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost," Eva asks, but I am too numb to answer.

I look around to find the nearest exit, I need to get out of here without him noticing me. I am scared, so freaking scared. I need to pack my things and run again.

"Ana.. Did you hear me?" Eva asked, touching my arm.

The only words I could get out left my mouth, "Christian… Call Christian."

She nodded and pushes through the crowd as fast as she can. When she reached Christian, his eyes meet mine and he rushes to me.

"Ana, what's wrong, are you okay?"

"I need… I need to get out of here." I struggle with my words.

"Calm down, tell me whats wrong."

"Please Christian, get me out of here," I say pleading for him to understand.

People were starting to stare. Reaching for my hand, Christian walks us out of the room and down the stairs. Pulling his cell phone out he dials a number.

"Have the limo brought to the front." With that he hangs up.

~.~.~

Walking into Christian's penthouse I take a deep breath. I need to know if Blake saw me. I am terrified and exhausted. I need to go to my apartment and collect the few belongings I had and get Jacob. We need to move away from here.

"Here drink this Ana, you're scaring me." I take the glass of water and down almost all of it. Even though what I need is something stronger to take the edge off.

"Please tell me what's wrong," He asks as he takes my hand, leading us to the couch.

"I can't, oh god, I can't," I say as I sob.

"Yes you can, you can tell me anything."

I debate whether telling him is a good idea.I can't involve him in this. The moment he put his hand on mine, I feel safe, and that makes me want to be honest with him.

"A year ago...Jacob got really sick and I couldn't find a job to pay for his medicine. One night, a friend told me about this bar looking for waitresses for a special event. She told me she could help me get the job. She promised it'd be enough money for everything Jacob needed. Without thinking twice, I rushed to the bar and I got the job." I stop to take a deep breath. " Blake, the owner, took a special interest in me. He gave me more work after the event and would make any possible excuse to make me stay late. One night he'd been drinking a lot. He asked to see me. When I walked into his office, he told me he liked me and that he was willing to make my life better if I slept with him. I immediately rejected his proposition. He didn't like that very much. When I tried to leave, he pushed me down onto the couch. I screamed, but no one could hear me or maybe they just didn't care." I say completely sobbing now.

Christian pulls me closer to him and wraps his arms around me. "Ana.. Did he,? Motherfucker!"

"No, he didn't. I managed to push him off, but he grabbed me before I could get out. As he pushed me to his desk, I...There was an letter opener; I stabbed him and ran. I went back to where Jacob was and we left, and never looked back. For six months, I didn't know if I'd killed him."

"Oh god Ana, why didn't you go to the police?" Christian asks with pure shock in his eyes.

"Blake, he's a very rich man; no one would have believed me." I cover my face and sob hard. " He found me six months ago; he's looking for revenge. I was lucky enough to get out before he did something to me or Jacob, but I am afraid he's found me again. I need to get out of here." Standing up I move to the elevator.

"Wait, no you can't leave Ana." He shouts after me.

"I don't have any other choice," I say just a few feet from the elevator.

"Yes you do, I'll take care of it. I will never let anything happen to you."

Within seconds, Christian is behind me wrapping his hands around my waist. "I can't lose you Ana.. I care about you." Slowly turning me around we stared at each other.

"How can you say that after what I just told you?" I ask confused.

"What you just told me doesn't change anything for me." Moving my hair back, he leans in and presses his soft lips into mine. "Can you not see how much I like you?" Kissing me one more time, I deepen the kiss.

Gently pushing me against the wall, he stops with his arms on each side of me. Moving one hand, he holds me close to him kissing me with such care a soft moan escapes my lips making him smile. "Stay with me tonight?" He says and pulls away for a second, waiting for my answer.

I agree, not wanting to be anywhere but here.

No comments:

Post a Comment