Tuesday 16 June 2015

Chapter Six: I’m On Fire


Christian moves his soft hand away from my face, taking a step back; he was out the door in seconds. Leaving me feeling weak in the knees. He'd been so close to me, so close to kissing me. Or was it just my imagination? I closed my eyes; placing my palms on my face could I feel more embarrassed?

"Ana... Dinner's ready." Jacob screams, making me jump.

"I'm coming," I shout back.

The tension between us was palpable throughout dinner. Every time I look up from my plate he is staring at me. Dinner was delicious; he came out of the kitchen with strawberry cheesecake prompting Jacob to jump up and down in his chair. I licked my lips in anticipation of a tasty dessert.

"Thanks for dinner," I said taking the last bite of my cheesecake.

He nodded, taking a sip of his wine, "Hey Jacob how about you go check out your room while Ana and I talk?"

Jacob nods and stuffs his mouth with the remains of his dessert. I make a horrified face, scared he would choke with that much food in his mouth. However, Jacob laughs and runs down the hallway to where his room is.

"So what do we need to talk about?" I ask playing with my fork.

"I want you to come by my office tomorrow; I'd like to talk to you about a few things."

"Can't we just talk about it now?"

"I would rather wait until tomorrow, it's getting late and I need to get going." He said, running a hand through his hair.

Our conversation was interrupted when we heard screams coming from Jacobs's room causing me to stand as quickly as I could. I run to his room hoping nothing has happened to him.

"NO WAY... I CAN'T BELIEVE IT." Tears fill his eyes as he looks around the room.

I smile and relax seeing he's okay. Christian walked into the room behind me, smiling at Jacobs's reaction.

"You did this?" Jacob asks Christian.

Christian nods his head.

Without thinking it twice, Jacob runs to hug Christian. "Thank you... Thank you..."

Noticing how uncomfortable Christian is, I reach for Jacob pulling him away from him. "Come here buddy, did you see all those books? "Picking off the shelve Jacob begins to read the back of the Harry potter book.

"We'll I better get going I have some work to do." Christian say's rubbing Jacob's head making his hair messy. Without looking away from the book Jacob nods.

"I'll walk you to the door." I say.

"Gail will come by tomorrow with food and things you'll need." He says and he leans against the door frame. He looks so yummy with the two first buttons of his shirt undone and his suit jacket hanging from his arm. "Make sure you're in my office by ten o'clock tomorrow morning."

He takes a step forward towards the elevator, but stops immediately and turns around. "Don't be late Anastasia."

I swallow hard, nodding my head. Closing the door, I lean on it trying to get myself together.

                               ~.~.~




The next day I get out of the cab at Madison Square Park, which is only a short walk to the building that houses Grey Entertainment. I sigh at the positively gorgeous weather. The days were getting warmer as winter moves into spring.

I hurry into the beautiful high-rise building and hastily dig out my security pass so I can get through the turnstile that leads to the elevators. Christian sent along the pass this morning with Gail so I could get through without too much hassle. The security man takes it and proceeds to press buttons on his computer. I wish he would hurry up before I chicken out and just leave.

Thankfully, I had no problems. I check my watch when I get in the crowded elevator and then shuffle toward the back as even more people pushed in. It was five minutes to ten, and I hated being late. Not that I was, at least not yet, but I am one of those people who is always early. Being late made me twitchy, and coming this close to the wire is making me anxious. I might be homeless, but I'm not unprofessional.

I had no reason for why I was so worried of being late. It wasn't like he'd have my head if I were late. But still…There was something in his voice that had kept me up awake all night, I was eager to know why he asked me to meet him here.

Gail had rushed me through the shower and then dressed me as though I were a child with no clue what to wear. After choosing black jeans that hug my every curve, she picked out a cute white blouse from the bag of clothes she'd brought this morning.

It has been a day since Jacob and I moved into the apartment and I was truly grateful for Christian's acceptance of Jacob. Gail and I hit it off immediately after meeting; she is ten years older then me with long red hair and beautiful hazel eyes and the kindest heart. At thirty one she is the closes to a friend I've had in a long time.

Gail fluffed and dried my long hair and curled some of the layers so the result was a messier wild look. Gail swore that hair like mine drove men wild. I wasn't sure I wanted to drive Christian to anything. Sure, he was sexy and made me want to touch him all over, but we barely knew each other I wasn't even sure he liked me like that.

At exactly 9:59, I escape the elevator and hurry into the reception sitting area of Grey Entertainment. Kate, the receptionist, smiles and greets me when she sees me coming. I didn't have time to ponder if I was the crazy one for agreeing to all of this. I had one minute to get into Christian's office.

"I'm supposed to meet Christian at 10," Finally, I said breathlessly.

"I'll let him know you're here," Kate says as she picks up the phone.

I turned away, unsure of whether he would come get me or if I would go in.

"You can go in," Kate called.

I quickly turn and then nod, taking a deep breath. I head down the hallway to the end where Christian's spacious corner office was located. Pausing at the doorway, I stare down at my sexy heels Gail had suggested I wear that I could barely walk in.

Suddenly I felt like the world's biggest idiot. How can I honestly believe a man like Christian would actually want to help me without expecting anything else? Just looking around I know I don't belong here. My heart breaks a little bit knowing he'd never be mine. I was just about to turn around and go back to the elevator as fast as my feet would take me when the door swing open and Christian's eyes met mine.

"Ana, where are you going?" he asked.

I flush with guilt, hoping like hell he couldn't read my thoughts. The guilt was probably obviously to read on my face.

"I was just looking around," I said bravely, notching up my chin to stare back at him.

Stepping back, he gestures for me to pass. "Come in."

I suck in a breath as I enter his office.

I study Christian's office with keen interest. It screams classy and expensive. Rich mahogany wood and polished marble floors that were partially covered with an elegant rug. The furniture was dark leather with an antique, old world look. Paintings adorned three walls.. Like his penthouse. while the last wall was all built-in bookcases filled with an eclectic mixture of wonderful books.

I loved to read, I would often borrow books from Father Gabriel; he was a big fan of Shakespeare and I'd grown to enjoy the books as well. The last book I read was Romeo and Juliet. Just looking at all the books I knew Christian and I had a lot in common.

"You look nervous," Christian said, breaking into my thoughts. "Relax, would you like a drink?"

Shaking my head, he motions for me to have a seat in front of his desk. He pulls the chair out and waits for me to sit before going around his desk to take his seat across from me. For a long moment, he stares at me until the heat crawls up my neck and to my cheeks. He didn't simply look at me.

"You wanted to see me," I said in a low voice.

The corner of his mouth crooked upward. "Right to the point aren't you darling."

I shyly smile back.

"I want you to come work for me."

Of all the things I thought he might say that was not one of them. I stared in astonishment at him trying to process the fact that he'd just offered me a job. Good God, I'd been well on my way to making a giant ass of myself. My cheeks tighten in humiliation... Did I really think he would say something different?

"I can find a job on my own," I said. "I don't need you to do me any favors."

He makes a dismissive gesture with his hand and the sound of impatience erupts from his throat. "Stop it Ana; I am not doing you any favors, a position just recently open. If anyone is doing any favors, it will be you by helping me out."

As I flush, I drop my gaze briefly. I knew he was just saying what I wanted to hear. I am, most definitely not, educated well enough to have a job anywhere is this building.

"I know you want to repay all I have done for you and this is the way you can do that." He leans back, staring intently at me as he waits for my response.

"What exactly is the job you're offering me?"

"You'd be my personal assistant."

Just the way he said the words make the hairs on my arm stand up. The emphasis on personal was not to be mistaken. "Christian why would you want me to be your assistant, I bet you can find someone better, more qualified?"

"Actually Ana, I don't think I can find anyone else better for the job than you." He says as he smiles.

How can I believe that when I know nothing about his business or the things he needs? Is he playing with me? Finding it fun to play around with a girl like me who knows nothing.

"Don't toy with me Christian. Something else is going on here. Why do you want me to come to work for you?"

His upper lip worked up and down and his nostrils flared as he stares from across the room.

"Because…I want you, Ana."

Silence shrouds the room. It's suffocating except for the loud pulse in my ears.

"I d-don't understand."

He smiled a very naughty smile. "Oh, I think you do."

My stomach flipped and butterflies swarmed my chest and tickled my throat. This wasn't happening. It has to be a dream.

"What you are suggesting just isn't possible," I said. "If I work for you…We can't…"

"Can't we?" he asked mockingly. He leaned farther back in his chair, indolent and confident as he turns to the side to stretch his long legs. "The pay is excellent. You'd have enough to get a place for you and Jacob."

I fidget in my chair and twist my hands together. "How can I say no when you put it like that," I confessed. My heart was about to beat out of my chest. I know there is more to this than words. There is a wealth of meaning in those green eyes. I feel hunted. Stalked.

"Well do I get an answered?" he asks in a husky voice.

"Y-yes," I croaked.

"Yes what?"

"Yes, I will work for you."

Christian's face lights up and he slowly stands making his way toward the bookcase. "Come here, Ana."

As I rise, my legs shake and I rub my hands down my jeans in an attempt to steady myself. I then I take that first step, walking around the edge of his desk to where he is standing by the built-in bookcase.

He reaches for my hand; once his fingers are entwined with mine, he pulls me closer. Landing awkwardly in his arms, he pulls me even tighter so I am nestled against his chest and tucked into his side. With his free hand, he runs his fingers through my hair, twisting the strands around his knuckles while holding on to my other hand.

My cheeks heat up and part of me wants to get up and slap him for being so forward, but the other half of me is loving the feeling of him being so close. His delicious smell; body wash or cologne? All I knew it was fantastic and I can't get enough. My body reacts to this man in a way it never has before. No man has ever interested me the way Christian does. At 21, I'm still a virgin and I'm very proud of it. Christian slowly raises his hand up to my chin, our eyes meeting. I bite my lip in anticipation of what I know will come next. Until the door opens to an infuriated blonde.

The horror and pain on her face prompt me to step away from Christian. I reach for the wall trying to hold myself up after being so close to Christian, I was left shaking. She steps into the office, closing the door behind her. I begin to walk towards the door, but was stopped by Christian touching the nape of my back bringing me to a halt.

"Brianna," Her name leaving Christian's lips actually makes me jealous. "I'm busy right now, give me five minutes and I will be right with you."

Her eyes, fuming with anger, never leave. "Christian!" She stomps her foot in a very childish way.

"Brianna don't." He demanded.

She turns to the door and rushes out, closing the door very loudly, making me jump. Why does it feel like I am the mistress who has just been caught tasting the forbidden fruit?

"I should go," I whisper trying not to make everything more awkward than it already was.

"Wait, don't. We're not done talking." He moved to his desk retrieving a folder. "Here," he handed it to me.

Slowly retrieving it, I arched an eyebrow "What is this?"

"It's a contract read it. Sign it; I'd love for you to start tomorrow."

~.~.~

My head was spinning with everything that just happened. The whole job offer. The almost kiss AGAIN. The very angry woman waiting to chew his head off. How can I possibly get involved in all of this? Yeah, he helps me out a lot, I owe it to him to try to repay him for everything, but being this close to him, can I handle it? I am in no place to fall for anyone, especially someone who is apparently attached to someone else. I need to work on myself before I can begin to think about a relationship not that Christian would want anything like that with me.

Instead of taking a taxi back to the apartment I had the driver drop me off downtown There was a small park that wasn't often crowded due to its bad reputation.

The contract was stuffed into my new bag Gail gave me when I mentioned to her I never had one before. I clutched it tighter against my side as I make my way to an empty bench farthest from the playground ensuring me some measure of privacy. Not that anyone cares about me or what I'm doing. It's still pretty early and no one actually came here until the sun went down. A tall brunette and a boy with spiked hair walked passed me. They sit a few benches away from me and within minutes they were making out. I roll my eyes and try to ignore how gross they were acting.

I take out the folder and open it so I can pull the pages out. My eyes widened as I read further. I turn the pages automatically until I read the last page. I assured myself it was a mistake; it had to be. The amount of zeros almost gave me a heart attack. I giggle, jumping up and down on the bench, getting the annoying couples attention for a second before they go back to it.

I covered my mouth and screamed into the palm of my hand, maybe things will finally work out for me. I went back to the beginning and reread it again.

There were requirements that required me to make myself available to him at all times. I was to travel with him, be at his disposal. My work hours were what he made them, and my time belonged exclusively to him within those hours.

Good God, what did I get myself into?

He wanted me at his beck and call in the office and on any business trips taken. He took it a step further because my time away from the office was his as well, if he needed me, I would have to drop whatever I was doing and manage whatever he send my way.

I needed a minute to think all this through. Can I really do this? I'm not sure I would be any good. What if I couldn't do all that he needed? I was scared to agree to this and end up disappointing him. I pushed the papers back into the folder and into my bag. I need a drink, a very big one, to figure all of this out and I know exactly where to go. I stand up trying to fight the urge. How bad could one drink really be? I can definitely stop after one; I try really hard to convince myself... leaving the park before I could really think it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment