Wednesday 17 June 2015

Chapter Thirteen: Elena who?


Elena Lincoln

Christian's POV
"It was nice seeing you Elena, take care," I say attempting to get her to leave. How dare she discuss Brianna when she sees that I'm with Ana? I know she did it on purpose; she'd love for me to be with her daughter. Sitting back down, I pick up my menu trying to pretend this never happened. I really should explain to Ana who Brianna is to me. I don't know if she'd understand. I know at some point I will have to, but I try to brush it off my mind for right now.

"Do you know what you're getting?" I ask hoping to change the mood.

"Yes, the bacon and chicken wrap with the tomato soup." She lets me know but never meeting my eyes.

I really wish, she'd tell me how she feels or what's going on in that head of hers. I want to be the one to take her worries away, but I can't if she won't let me.

"Are you all ready to order?" The very friendly waiter asks.

"Yes will have the bacon and chicken wrap with tomato soup." I say. Taking our order she strolls away.

"Can I ask you something?" Ana asks making me look away from my cell phone.

"Of course you can." I answered.

"Who's Brianna?"

The last thing I wanted for her to ask me, but somehow I knew it was coming. "There is a lot of me you don't know... I really can't discuss it right now." I say hoping she will let it go.

But she doesn't, "Is she your girlfriend?" Her eyes go all sad as she asks.

"No Ana, she isn't my girlfriend. "I visibly notice her relax, as the words leave my mouth.

"Well who is she then?"

"Just drop it Ana." I say hating how much of an asshole I sounded.

"No tell me," She demands.

"Fine, when I moved in with the Grey, They had two kids. Mia and Elliott, at first I didn't get along with them. They didn't like how much attention I got from their parents, so I was always alone spending my time on my computer or at the Library. That's where I meet Brianna my first year of University, She reminded me a lot of me. She was always alone and angry. One night she invited me to a club she attended, she promised me I'd love it. She's a very beautiful girl, you don't say no to a beautiful girl when she's asking you out. So I went... I really can't say much about that night due to an NDA I sign. However, we had a fling for a few months after that, but now were just friends."

Our food arrives and I am truly thankful, preferring to stop talking about Brianna. Reaching for her spoon Ana doesn't ask more questions.

"Mmm…This is pretty good." She says taking a taste of the tomato soup.

I smile, picking up my own spoon.


Ana's POV
After an awkward lunch with Christian I am happy to be back in my shiny new office. I take a seat and close my eyes for a minute. I want to know more about Brianna, is he telling me the truth about them just being friends now? I hate the jealousy I feel when her name is mention. Why do I feel so possessive over Christian? He's not mine to possess. Who am I kidding, it's because I genuinely care about him. Why shouldn't I? He's been great to me and Jacob, but it's not just gratitude I feel. I shake my head trying to erase the dreadful morning I've had. I need to keep busy so I won't think about all of this. Checking the time on my phone, I decide I better call Cece about the tuxedo for Christian, for the Annual Valentines Gala. Pulling the contact list as Kate showed me, I search for her number. Pressing a few buttons on my new phone, relieved I finally understand how to use it…It rings once…twice. Finally, it goes to voice mail and I end up leaving her a message asking her to call me back.

A knock on the door gets my attention away from the screen of my phone. "Ana, Christian will like to see you in his office."

"Thanks, Kate I'll be there in a minute."

Closing the door, behind her she leaves me wondering what Christian needs. Reaching for the lip gloss I placed in my desk drawer I apply a decent amount. Running my fingers through my hair, I try fixing it. When I feel I am ready to face Christian, I stand and walk out of my office. Holding my IPad in one hand. Turning the corner I stop in front of his office, but before I can knock on his door, the door opens.

"Ana come in," He says moving back to let me in." Great you brought your IPad."

Moving inside, I take a seat on one of the black chairs in front of his desk.

"I know Kate told you about the Annual Valentines Gala... I... I was wondering if you'd want to accompany me?"

"Sure if you need me there to work, I will," I say.

Running a hand through his hair, he moves towards me inclining on the desk he unbuttons his suit jacket. "No Ana, I mean... Would you come with me as my date?"

The shock on my face must be visible since Christian is staring at me without saying a word. Multiple things are running through my head, but I go with the one I can't push back. "I have nothing to wear."

Christian laughs softly, making me feel silly. "That's not a problem, I can arrange for Cece to stop by the apartment tomorrow."

"But…"

"It's a simple yes or no answer Ana."

Biting my lip I debate whether to agree or not, but in the end I go with what my heart wants. "I'd love to go with you."

Christian smiles wide, making my heart skip a beat. "Great it's this Saturday."

I nod my head and stand up. "Do you need anything else?" I ask really wanting to get out of here before I burst into a fit of giggles from excitement.

"Yes, we have an appointment with the principal at the school I told you about for Jacob. They want to see us tomorrow morning."

"Wow, that fast? That's great."

"Yes, the sooner, the better, I will pick you guys up at nine tomorrow morning."

"Thank you so much Christian, I don't know how I'll ever repay you for all you've done for us." Without thinking, I reach in for a hug. I immediately pull away when I notice what I just did. "I'm sorry…"

Moving closer to me Christian pulls me back into his arms, holding me by the waist. His hand touches my chin, bringing my gaze up. "Don't ever apologize Ana." With that, his delicate lips meet mine, giving me a tender kiss.

"Christian wait…" I break from his hold and move a few steps away from him.

"Ana, I like you... and I know you feel the same way."

I say nothing because I can't deny it. "But, it's not right."

"Why isn't it?" He asks.

My brain goes blank when he's this close. I know the attraction is mutual, but it's too soon. We don't know each other very well. "We barely know each other," I say.

"Then let's fix it," He says moving a step forward, making me step back.

"You don't want to trust me," I answer attempting to make my way to the door.

"You keep saying this, but it's not going to make me change my mind."

"Well, you should Christian."

"Maybe I'm the one with the demons, have you thought about that?" Christian asks.

"I don't think anything in your past can be as terrible as mine." Opening the door I take a deep breath, "I will see you tomorrow morning." With that, I leave his office like a scared little child who doesn't want her deepest secrets exposed.

                                 ~.~.~

"Ana, you're home," Jacob calls from the living room. I place my bag down and walk to the living room.

"Hey bud, what are you doing?" I ask flopping down on the couch.

"Watching a movie," Looking up at the flat screen TV but not actually looking at me.

"What movie is it?"

"Thorn. It's sooo good Ana." Finally, he looks at me just for a second, making me smile at how excited he is.

"So there is something we need to discuss," I say taking a deep breath, "Christian has arranged for us to see a school tomorrow."

That finally gets his attention and he pauses the movie. "Wait, what?" He asks.

"It's time you go back to school. You can't just spend your days sitting here doing nothing."

Nodding his head, he gazes at me. "I know I have to, but I'm terrified."

Placing my hand on his shoulders, I give him a gentle squeeze, "It will be fine, I promise. You'll love it."

He starts the movie again and goes back to ignoring me. I sit watching a movie with him for a while until I hear Gail in the kitchen. She comes every day while I'm out to keep Jacob company. He's grown fond of her and I know she feels the same way about him. Standing up I head to the kitchen and pull up a bar stool.

"Hi Ana, can I get you something to eat?"

"Sure, thanks Gail," I say and place my hand on my face because I'm so overwhelmed.

"Is everything okay?" She asks putting frying pan on the stove.

"Just feeling a bit overwhelmed," I answered, "Sometimes it feels so surreal," I add.

"Oh dear, I know this is a lot different than what you're used to. But you'll get accustomed to it eventually, just give it time."

I agree with her, "I think I just need a nice hot bath and a long night of uninterrupted sleep."

"That sounds like a great Idea; I'll get the bath ready for you while you eat."

"Thank you Gail, for everything you do for us." Placing my hand on top of hers, I feel my eyes getting watery.

"It's my pleasure Ana."

                                ~.~.~

"What a beautiful day," I say to Jacob as we drive to the school. Spring is upon us, and I can't wait for summer to arrive. It's my favorite time of year. Christian is quiet for most of the drive which makes me wonder if he is mad at me. As soon as we turn the corner the huge school came to view. It was different from any schools I have ever seen, making me consider the extent to which it costs. I know Christian told me it is a private school so it can't be cheap.

"Well, we're here. Are you ready?" Christian parks the car and waits for Jacob to reply.

"Yes, I think I am," He answers but sounding very nervous.

Walking into the reception area we are welcomed by a tall, slender woman with a petite frame. Her skin was the color of caramel and her beautiful, long brown hair made you take a second look at her.

"Christian it's nice to see you again," She said shaking his hand.

"Tessa, this is Miss Steele and this little guy is Jacob."

She gives me the kindest smile and reaches for my hand, "Pleasure to meet you," she says. "Please come into my office."

An hour later, we leave the school and Jacob has an enormous grin on his face. He loved each and everything about it. Christian has arranged everything in order for Jacob to start next week. How will I ever be able to repay Christian for everything he's done? I try hard to relax knowing that's a problem for another day.

"Gail will take you shopping for everything you'll need." Christian says while keeping his eyes on the road.

"Thank you," Jacob says smiling. "I cannot wait to start next week."

                               ~.~.~

After dropping Jacob off back at the apartment Christian tells me he will be working late this evening due to a problem with some new software. He says he knows what he needs from me and asks me to talk to Kate should I have any questions. When we arrived at the office, we go our separate ways. I can't kick this feeling that Christian is mad at me, but I try to push that out of my head so I can work on the task Christian has given me.

Making phone calls for meetings, lunches and appointments the morning passes by quickly. When I check the time on my phone, I realize its lunch time. Grabbing my purse I head to Christians office to ask whether he needs me to grab anything for him. I knock on the door and wait for him to give me permission to enter.

"Come in." Momentarily he looks up from his computer at me. "Oh it's you."

"I was wondering if you wanted something for lunch."

"No." He answers very sharply.

Nodding my head, I walk to the door holding back my tears. Why is he acting this way with me? Where did the sweet and kind man I care about go?

"Wait Ana..." He's voice prevents me from exciting.

Slowly turning around I see he's only inches away from me. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to be rude to you." Tossing his cell phone back on the desk, he moves closer to me. "There is an issue with a project I'm working on and I need to fly to California tonight. I'll be back before the Annual Valentines Gala on Saturday." His grey eyes are loaded with concern.

"You're pale Christian, come here and take a seat." Pulling the chair out, I help him. "Do you need some water?" I ask.

"No, I'm just really angry," He says.

Kneeling down I rub circles on his hand in an attempt to calm him down. I move my hand up to his face and gently caress it. "Everything will be okay." I try to reassure him.

"Yes, I just need to fix it before it gets worse."

"When are you leaving?"

"In five minutes."

Standing up, I move away to give him space. He grabs his cell phone from where it landed on his desk and he walks to the door waiting for me.

"You have my number. If you need anything call me," He says pushing a wisp of hair behind my ear. "I'll see you on Saturday."

No comments:

Post a Comment