Tuesday 16 June 2015

Chapter Seven: One Last Night


I stand and stare at the glimmering neon green sign that read 'Green Scorpion'. If I take two steps forward I would be inside. A drink could be in my hand in less than a minute. It has been almost six months since my last drink. However, I just couldn't make myself move in order to take two steps inside. After a few minutes, I stop listening to my brain, turning off everything telling me to turn around and leave.

"Ana, is it really you?" Josie the bartender asked as I climb onto a bar stool. "What can I get for you darling?"

"She'll take a beer." My head slowly spun around to see who was talking. The tattoo on his arm catches my attention first, there was only one person I knew who had a tattoo like that. The dragon tattoo covers his right arm; it is red and black and amazing.

"Hunter." His name leaving mouth slowly.

Our eyes meet, without blinking once, we stare at each other.

"Ana, it's good to see you." Hunter said, taking a sip of his drink. "Where have you been its been.. What.. Six months?"

"That sounds about right," I roll my eyes.

"Where were you? He asks, his eyes never leaving mine.

"Why do you care if I recall you cheated on me?" Shaking my head as I ask him.

I reach for my cold mug of beer and down as much as I can, trying to take the pain of seeing him. Hunter closes his eyes for an instant and touches his chest close to his heart with his left hand at the harsh words.

"I still have it you know." Pulling the collar of his shirt exposing his chest where I know my name is tattooed on him.

"You should really consider getting it removed.." Grabbing my cup, I move to the next bar stool trying to keep my distance from him.

"How can I? You were my first love Ana."

I laughed not just a simple laugh, a full belly very unlady like laugh. "Yeah, right." Turning my back to him I hope he gets the hint and leaves me alone. The bar is loud and hectic, and full of soon to be graduates out to party. Josie said she would join me as soon as the next bartender clocks in for his shift. She's in the mood to catch up and promises to buy the next round of drinks for us. As I down my fifth, I know this is not a good idea. On top of not eating anything other than breakfast, I know my stomach can't take much more.

"So will you ever forgive me?" Hunter shouts at me over the noise.

I wanted to say no that I'd never be able to, but I'd be lying if I did. It has been six months since it all went down. I was different… or I really wanted to think I was. He'd been someone important to me, someone I cared for and maybe even loved. However, the moment I found him in bed with his coworker things became extremely difficult for me. Not that I could see us having a future or anything, due to the fact he didn't know I was homeless or who I really was. I never let him know and he didn't ask.

" I have Hunter, I'm over what happened if that's what you want to hear."

"I'm so glad to hear that, I've missed you Ana," Hunter says, standing up and putting his arm around my waist to pull me close.

I place my hand on his chest, pushing him back an inch. " Just because I'm over it doesn't mean I have forgotten."

"It was so good between us. I know I messed up, but I've learned," he whispers in my ear.

"Another beer?" He asks, looking at my empty cup.

I shake my head, "What time is it?"

"A little bit after midnight," Josie says "We should do shots." Clapping her hands she reaches for a bottle of clear liquid. Her red hair was now up into a ponytail and her very tight, very revealing shirt exposing her belly button ring.

"No I better go." I try standing up, but the whole room is spinning.

"Come one Ana I haven't seen you in forever, we need to catch up, it's still pretty early." Josie said giving me sad puppy eyes.

How can I tell her this is part of my past? Something I was trying so hard to forget it.

"Here, let me help you," Hunter says, grabbing my arm and throwing it around his neck.

"No you don't have-"

"Shh.. Relax, I got this."

I start feeling nauseous, my head is spinning uncomfortably, and I'm a little unsteady on my feet. More unsteady than usual."Maybe another night Josie." That seems to make her happy, making her smile. My vision is affected, and I'm really seeing double of everything. I think I'm going to be sick. Why did I let myself get this messed up?

"Ana are you okay?" Hunter asks.

"I think I've just had a bit too much to drink." I smile weakly at him.

"Me too," He murmurs, and his dark eyes are on me making me very uncomfortable. "Come on, I'll take you home." Walking outside Hunter, hails a taxi and we climb in.

"Where to?" The driver asks.

"157 West." I slur at him.

The driver pulls up to the curb and Hunter looks like his eyes might pop out. "Wow, you live here?" Pushing back his hair to focus his eyes on the building.

I nod. Well, for right now I think to myself. He opens the door, helping me out and paying the cab driver. We walk to the front door of the building and I press the button to call the elevator; reaching for the wall to steady myself.

"I'll be okay from here," I tell him, but he doesn't leave.

I step into the elevator and he follows. I close my eyes and lean against the wall. When I slowly open them, Hunter is only inches away from me. "You're so beautiful Ana."

His lips move to touch mine; however, I move my face, making him kiss my cheek. I quickly move away. When the doors open to the penthouse Hunter walks behind me eyeing the apartment.

"Ana?" Jacob asks, rubbing his sleepy eyes.

"Hey buddy." I giggle half embarrassed.

"Jacob go back to your room," A husky voice says making me look up.

Christian is siting only a few feet away with his arms crossed. He looks very delicious. The look in his eyes tells me he's not very happy. I swallow hard, trying not to puke. I slowly take a step forward attempting not to trip. Christian's eyes never look away from me.


"Ana.. I should go," Hunter says reminding me he's still behind me.

Hunter
 
I nod and turn my head to look at him "Thanks for bringing me home Hunter."

He smiles biting his lip, "No problem Ana, I hope to see you soon again." As he steps into the elevator I catch him winking at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment