Wednesday 17 June 2015

Chapter Twelve: Shake it off

Stretching from a refreshing night of sleep, I gradually untangle myself from the sheets, knowing that if I want to make it to work in time I better get up now. It was my first official day as Christian Greys assistant. Just thinking of him makes me smile. I still didn't know much about him or the job, or if I'll ever be adept at it, when I don't know what I am required to do? Finally standing up from the bed, I make my way to the bathroom where the beautiful egg shape bathtub is. I mentally remind myself to use it tonight. I truly believe I will need it after not knowing what will transpire today.


Reaching for the handle, I let the water warm up while I undress. The entire conversation Christian and I had last night keeps running through my mind. I never imagined my life would improve for the better just from working that party. A blur of emotions whirl through me; relief, happiness, stability. However, what I feel most is being safe. At long last, I take a minute to see what life is truly about without having to watch my back every second of the day and not stressing over the easily overlooked details like where will I sleep? When will I get to eat again, or sleeping with one eye open from fear of getting hurt. On the off chance this didn't work out what would become of me? I can't go back to that EVER.

Rinsing my hair one last time, I venture out of the shower; towel dry my hair and leave the bathroom in search of something to wear. I don't have much, but I'd make a mental note to buy new clothes with my first paycheck. It is weird knowing I'll be able to afford new thing, things of my own. No matter how weird, it excited me at the same time. Choosing the white blouse Christian gave me the first night we met, I pair it with my skinny black Jeans. I know it's nothing fancy, but I don't have many choices.

Blow drying my hair; I run my fingers through it giving it a messy- sexy look. I apply some lip-gloss and pinch my cheeks to get some color in them. I know I'll have to invest in makeup, but for now this will do. Looking at myself on the mirror, I give my hair a last minute touch-up before leaving. I need to leave in 10 minutes if I want to make it on time. As much as I tell Christian I'll be okay to get to work on my own, he continued to argue with me until I agreed to having Taylor pick me up. Sometimes he overwhelms me with his demands and control issues.

As I leave, I poke my head through Jacob's bedroom door, I find him snoring away. I place my hand on my mouth before my giggles wake him up. I slowly close the door and head to the lobby to wait for Taylor.

                               ~.~.~

Thanking Taylor for the ride to work, I venture out of the SUV before he can come around to open the door for me. Taking a minute to admire the beautiful building, I take a long breath before I stroll into the extremely busy and noise building. Showing my security pass, I wait until I am allowed in. I thank the security man and race to the elevator, yelling to a woman to hold the door for me.

When I walk into the elevator, I examine this lady. Lovely blonde hair cut into a bob; tall and slim with hazel-eyes, she is very pretty. She's wearing a short black dress, but what really gets my attention are her shoes. Beautiful silver heels that match the belt wrapped around her dress.

"Thank you," I say taking a step inside.

"No problem girl!" Her accent stands out just enough to be noticed, making me wonder where she's from. "First day on the job?"

"Yes..Is it that obvious?"

She nods, giving me a warm smile. "You'll be fine. Which department are you working in?"

"Ummm... No department, I'm the new assistant for Chri….Mr. Grey."

"Oh you're Holly's replacement."

"Holly?" I ask

"She was his last assistant, she just had a baby," She says. "Well, this is my floor, but if you make it through the day, we should grab lunch sometime."

"Sure," I agree as she walks out on the 10th floor.

                              ~.~.~

Walking into the reception area, I am welcomed by Kate, "Good morning Miss Steele, Mr. Grey is waiting for you in his office."

"Good morning Kate and thank you," I say as I make my way to Christian's office.

I pause, my heart beating uncontrollably and feels as if it's going to jump out of my chest. Standing still, gazing at Christian's office door, I can't make myself knock. I am so nervous.. However, I force myself eventually and knock softly.

"Come in," Christian says with a hot imposing voice giving me butterflies.

I must relax.. I must relax.. repeating this mantra, I open the door to discover Christian staring into a computer screen with reading glasses on. Swallowing hard, I close the door behind me and try pulling myself together.

"Good morning Ana, Please take a seat."

I do; I'm thankful as my legs are unstable. "Good morning Christian."

"There are a couple of things we have to discuss before I show you the office where you'll be working.."

Hold up, I get my own office? That's insane.

"I know we haven't discussed Jacob much, but I truly think we ought to consider enrolling him at school or perhaps even looking for a stable place for him to live."

Pushing the annoyance back, I try to breath before I say something I'll regret. How could he say Jacob living with me isn't stable? I know we've been homeless for a while, but I am trying my hardest now to give both of us a life worth living. I know enrolling him in school will have to happen eventually, but there was no way I will let him take Jacob away from me.

"No, Jacob stays with me no matter what.. Although, about school, I agree."

"A friend of mine works at the Chapin School, I'll see what we can do about enrolling him this semester."

"Great, thank you," I say genuinely appreciative.

"Not a problem. Jacob is an astonishing kid and if I can do something to help him I will," He says.

The silence in the room soon becomes awkward. Until Christian speaks again. "Well, we should get started, I'll show you your office and Kate will help you with anything else you need." Standing up, Christian takes off his glasses and places them on the table, making me wish he'd keep them on. They look so good on him. Heading to the door, he waits for me to follow.

                                  ~.~.~.

"This is my office?" I ask attempting to contain my excitement.

"Yes, I hope you like it, if not you can change anything you want. We have an amazing office decorator and she's at your service if you want."

I shake my head, making my way inside the enormous room with huge windows and white walls. A cherry wood desk sits in the middle of the room adorned with a beautiful bouquet of lilies. A black calfskin lounge chair is placed near the window, and there is a small bookcase on the opposite wall.

"It's perfect thank you."

Christian takes a step inside the office and moves to the desk, "Well, shall we?" I nod my head and follow him. Opening a drawer, Christian pulls out a package.

"This is your iPad. I have entered my appointments; dinners, trips, meetings, etc. You'll need this to keep up with everything." Running a hand through his hair, his strong green eyes meeting my terrified ones. "Kate will help you learn how to use this."

"Great, What did you say it's called?" I ask attempting not to sound doltish.

"It's an iPad, Ana." Checking his watch for the second time shortly, he puts down the iPad and opens the drawer once more. "Here, you'll also need this."

Taking the phone in my grasp, I press the touch screen and it lights up, making me giggle. I bet Christian thinks I'm childish for being this excited about simple things like this. I push it out of my head for now and focus on learning everything I can.

"I added my personal number and the office number, in case you need to talk to me. I have a meeting in a few minutes. Take a minute to look around and get yourself settled. Kate will be here shortly to help you learn a few things, but I will see you later for lunch.." As he moves to leave, I call after him before he walks out.

"Christian, wait..."

"Yes, Ana?"

"Thank you for giving me this chance, I will not let you down."

The morning was spent trying to figure out this damn iPad and going through things Christian will require of me. I am making a decent attempt to listen to everything Kate is saying; however, I am exhausted and could truly use a break to clear my head. My eyes catch the flowers for the 10th time and I smile. Christian purchased them for me and leaving an adorable card, wishing me a good first day. Remembering the wonderful kiss between us, I find myself daydreaming. Will it ever happen again? A part of me believes it will, yet the other wasn't sure if it's the right thing.

"Ana.. Hello Ana." Kate's voice brings me back to reality.

"Sorry, What were you saying?" I ask, hoping she doesn't get irritated with me.

"You need to call Cece and arrange a suit to be delivered to Mr. Grey house for the Annual Valentines Gala." Her fingers tap the computer keyboard and she pulls up a document.

"Okay, I got it," I answer, only half truthful.

"Good, do you have any more questions?" She asks as she crosses her arms.

"No, I should be good. Thank you for being so helpful, I really appreciate it."

"It's not a problem Ana, let me know if you need anything else, I'll be out there." She gestures toward the reception area.

"Thank you Kate." With that, she leaves me in this enormous office by myself.

                                  ~.~.~

At 12:05, Christian knocks on my door and he stands just close enough in the doorway to be noticed quickly. His beautiful smile makes me disregard the hard morning I had. I hold a finger up to tell him I'll be ready in a second. Putting my new iPad into the drawer, I come around my desk and Christian moves aside to allow me to walk out first.

"So, where are we going?" I ask, thinking I would rather be anywhere but here at this moment.

"There is this great restaurant across the street, You'll love it."

"Sounds great," I assure him.

Calling for the elevator, Christian turns around facing me while we wait, "So, how is your first day?"

I shrug, attempting not to appear ungrateful. "It's different. I have to get used to all of this."

He nodded, "I know it's overwhelming, but it will be beneficial for you, trust me."

"I do, and I just need time. All of this is new to me." I am grateful when the elevator stops, the door opens and people move to the side to give us room, ending our conversation.

Crossing the road, we stroll into the café across from Grey Enterprises Building. My stomach protests, reminding me how hungry I am. The delectable smells make me lick my lips in anticipation. Christian leads us to a table next to a large window and he pulls the chair out, waiting for me to sit. As I thank him, he takes his seat.

"They have an amazing tomato soup, you should try it." He lets me know as we peruse the menu.

"I might just do that; the chicken and bacon wrap looks really good as well," I say until I look at the prices.

"Hey, don't stress over it, this is on me," Christian says, which makes me feel awful for not having the money to pay.

Before I can say anything else, the voice of a woman calling Christian's name stands out just enough to be noticed. I look around to see who it is. She's an older woman, possibly in her 40s, with long blonde hair and huge boobs; no doubt they are fake. Her eyes never looking away from Christian.

"Christian, I knew it was you," She says, totally disregarding me.

Standing up, Christian leans in for a hug. "Elena, what are you doing here?" Christian says as he kisses her cheek.

"Grabbing a quick lunch with an old friend," She says pulling away from their embrace.

"Elena, this is Ana Steele." Her eyes move from him so she can look me up and down.

"Pleasure to meet you," She says, faking a smile. I nod, giving her a fake smile back.

"Well, I should get back to my friend, but please promise me you'll call Brianna. She's going out of her mind since she hasn't heard from you in a few days."

Christian ignores what she just said, "It was nice seeing you Elena, take care."

No comments:

Post a Comment