Tuesday 16 June 2015

Chapter Five: Salted Wound


"Wow, that's your car?" Jacob's eyes went wide as we approach Christian's car; it is dark orange and black and it looks to be brand new.

"You like it? It's a Lamborghini Aventador and there are only two in the entire world." Christian says as he is opening the door for Jacob to climb in.

Jacob nodded, smiling from ear to ear…Boys and their toys, I roll my eyes.

"So where are we going?" I ask as I get sit down in the car and cross my arms.

"Tonight you're coming back to my place," he says as he sat back in the seat. He spoke with a calmness I sure as hell don't feel. "Tomorrow I'm contacting my real estate agent and we will find you two a place to live."

My mouth again falls open at the certainty to his voice. It wasn't a question. He wasn't asking if this is what I wanted. He spoke as if it was already decided. As if I had absolutely no say in my destiny.

"This is insane," I whispered. "I can't let you do this.. its too much."

He lifted one eyebrow and leveled his steady gaze at me in a manner that made me feel stupid. "Why not?"

I flushed. " Because its too much."

" Ana, I have the money and I would love to help you. Or would you rather stay with me?"

My brow crinkled "No, we can't stay with you."

"Then it's settle." He said inserting the key, bringing the car engine to life.

"You are crazy," I muttered. "How did you know I would be here?"

"I didn't. I come here often for coffee, it was pure coincidence."

"Sure it was," I rolled my eyes; "You're crazy you know that."

He laughed. "I've been called worse, but do tell me why you think that."

"Because you barely know me and you're ready to get me a place to live."

He suddenly became very serious. "Wanting to help you doesn't make me crazy. I wish someone would have had helped me out on my worse time. Why can you just see, that's all I'm trying to do"

"Okay," I murmured. "Thanks"

His mouth twitched suspiciously. "There. That wasn't so hard now, was it?"

I frowned. "What?"

" Accepting it and letting it happen."

I stayed silent for the remaining of the car ride attempting to make sense of all of this.

                              ~.~.~


The next morning Christian scowled as we pulled to a stop in front of an ultramodern high-rise across from Central Park. A steady rain was now falling. He reached across to take my hand, pulling me toward the door as he climbed out.

"Hurry so you don't get wet," he rushed us towards entrance.

I was forced to run to keep up with him and by the time we got inside, I was out of breath. Despite his effort to get us inside before we got wet, my clothes were soaked and clung to me as I shivered. My white blouse was soaked and I knew it was transparent.

Christian saw my facial expression as I tried covering up myself. Licking his lips, he looked at me without caring to be obvious. Taking my arm, he directs me towards the lobby of the apartment. A beautiful black grand piano set in the corner of the room and beautiful paintings decorated the walls. Christian pushed the elevator button and we waited for the lift to arrive. Yet, I was no where near prepared for what was to come the moment we stepped into the elevator.

The tension was palpable... My heart was beating hard. Christian stood so close to me, if I turned around at the right angle we would be face to face. I bit my lip, stopping it from quivering. Christian reached into his left pocket and pulled out a single key. Entering it to the elevator panel the elevator continue its destination until we hit the top floor.

The elevator opened into an elegant foyer with marble floors and a huge, crystal chandelier suspended from the ceiling. He nudged me forward and I hesitate before stepping into the apartment.

"Mr. Grey," The voice of a woman grabbed my attention.

Christian walked ahead of me and place his hand out to take the women's. "Mrs. Young Thank you for meeting us." She took his hand, "I would like you to meet my friend Miss Steele." Mrs. Young smiled politely at me and I did the same.

"Well should we look around?" She asked looking away from me.

"No, I will like to show Ana around myself." Christian answered me.

"Very well, if you wouldn't mind I have the lease ready to be sign." Christian let go of my hand and headed to the table to sign the lease. Mrs. Young shows him where to sign and when they are all done she shakes his hand and gives me a friendly goodbye. Christian turns around and looks at me. "We need to get you out of those clothes before you get sick," he said grimly.

His statement made me hug myself tighter as if I could keep my clothes on with my action. Grabbing my hand, he leads me to the bathroom. I sit on the bathroom counter as Christian starts the shower.

"You need to warm up. While you're in the shower, I'll call Taylor and let him know the things you'll need."

His lips tightened, but he remained silent while he looked at me. I was still so cold. Cold on the inside. I wasn't sure I'd ever feel warm again.

He slides one hand up my arm to my shoulder, squeezes it reassuringly and then he leaves the bathroom. I slumped against the counter and then turn to survey my reflection in the mirror. I looked like death. Tired. Stressed. were a million things swirling in my mind.

Finally, after taking all of this in, I smiled. This will be my place until I can save enough to get my own. I cannot wait for Jacob to see it; he's going to love it. Knowing I was wasting hot water, I stepped into the shower, groaning as the heat cascades over my aching body. It was sheer bliss. The most incredible thing I'd ever felt. I tossed my head upward, letting the spray wash over my face and down my neck. I stay in the shower until my body grows heavy and sluggish from being exposed to the intense heat for so long. After rinsing my hair one last time, I reluctantly turned off the water and step out. Warm air washes over me, surprising me. I glance up to see that Christian had evidently turned on the bathroom heater. It was nice and cozy after my half hour shower. Christian had decadent towels that are huge and fluffy, and so soft I feel surrounded by a cloud. I could almost wrap it twice around my body. I blinked in surprise when I realized that there was a change of clothes lying on the counter that wasn't there before. He'd come into the bathroom while I was showering; my cheeks turn red from embarrassment. Hoping like hell, he hadn't seen me naked.

I picked up the pair of jeans and a T-shirt; quickly see that both were my size. After taking the time to dry myself completely, I pulled on the pair of panties sitting next to the jeans and the T-shirt. I wonder where Christian got this clothes from? I am embarrassed to think that I was borrowing some other women's clothes. Or maybe Taylor had brought them for me? Stepping out of the bathroom, the water running in the kitchen catches my attention. I move in that direction and stop at the entrance. My eyes taking in the beautiful man standing beside the stove, stirring a pot of what seems to be tomato sauce.

"Smells delicious," I softly smile as he turns around returning my smile.

"It should be ready soon." He says as he grabs two glasses from the cupboard and opens the door to reach for a bottle of wine. "Chardonnay?"

"I don't drink, but I'd love a cup of tea." I said, trying to lighten the mood not wanting to get into detail about why I don't drink.

"Sure." He fills his glass, putting the other away.

"When will Jacob be here?" I ask.

"In an hour or so Gail called while you were taking a shower." Christian wanted me to see the place before we brought Jacob here.

"I want to show you something before we eat." Christian says as he extends his hand for me to take.

I hesitate for a second, but I eventually put my hand on his. "The room on the left is yours and the one on the right is Jacob's. Go head go on in." He said, stopping right outside the room. I slowly open the door.

My eyes go wide as I take in the room. Toys, cars, and books anything a 13-year old boy would want. The comforter is covered in bright, animated characters. Christian remembered Jacob saying how much he likes The Avengers.


"You think he'll like it?" Christian asked, leaning on the door frame.

"I think he'll love it." I say, trying to hold back the tears. "I can't believe you did all this for him."

I turn around and touch the bookshelf, running my fingers over the books.


When I bring my gaze back toward Christian, I was surprised to find him only inches away from me; I bit my lip, wishing for him to finally kiss me. He moved his hand touching my neck, bringing his mouth closer to mine; I could feel the warmth coming from him. I close my eyes and wait for what I knew would come next… until noise coming from the entrance stopped him.

No comments:

Post a Comment