Saturday 20 June 2015

Chapter Twenty-three: Where did my Ana go?

Christians POV
"Blake, this is Anastasia Steele," I said smiling at my friend.

Moving towards her, he embraces her into a hug and I attempt to hold back my jealousy. I hate to see another man touch Ana; however, this is my friend and I try to remember that. Ana pulls away from him immediately and her facial expression alarms me; she is pale. She turns and reaches for the door knob and rushes out the door. I am taken aback and a bit confused. What in the hell is going on? My body finally reacts and I turn to follow her.

"Ana," I yell after her. What the hell just happened? One moment, I am introducing her to my friend and the next she's running out. I am too late as the elevator doors close before I can stop it.

I walk back into the office and grab my cell phone off the table to call Taylor. I demand that he stop her as soon as she walks out of the elevator. I need to know what's going on. Running a hand through my hair, I remember that Blake is still in my office.

"What the fuck just happened?" I ask in an attempt to piece this puzzle together.

"I am as confused as you are... Perhaps she didn't like me?" He says matter of fact.

Ana is a genuinely sweet girl she wouldn't just be rude for no reason. Perhaps she didn't feel well and had to run out for air? She's been depressed ever since they took Jacob.

"I need to go find her, we'll have to reschedule our meeting for next week," I say as I stride toward the door.

"Yes, of course, you need to find her, I'd love to help." He moves closer and pats me on the shoulder.

"She's probably headed to her apartment, but if I need anything, I will make sure to call you." I say.

"Fine, I'll leave you to it then." As he walks out the door, I am worried about my Ana.

                            ~.~.~.


Ana's POV
The doors open and I hurry out of the elevator, needing to get away from here as fast as I can. Had Christian known all along who I was? Had this been arranged by Blake? I attempt to hold back the very nauseous feeling and head out of the revolving doors. I was genuinely scared for my life and part of me is thankful that Jacob was nowhere near me; I can't involve him in this. My eyes see Taylor gazing at me as he walks towards me. Without thinking twice, I run the opposite way as fast as my heels would allow. I turn around to check and see how close he is. As I turn the corner, I was surprised and grateful when I see he wasn't following. I pick up the pace just in case he was close.

I was a few blocks away before I came to a halt, trying to catch my breath. I need to find someplace safe to stay until I figure out what the hell was going on. Pulling my jacket tighter I head to the only safe place I can think of right now.

I find myself outside of Saint Thomas Church on Fifth Avenue. I hesitate to climb the stairs and wonder if this is the right place to be. Taking a deep breath, I head up the stairs to the front entrance and knock on the door. When a familiar figure opens the door, I smile at the tall older man with salt and pepper hair and light brown eyes.


"Ana come on in, I haven't seen you and Jacob in a few weeks. I was beginning to get worried. Where is he anyways?" Father Gabriel says and closes the door behind me.

"It's a long story... We've been staying at a friend's home, but I really need a place to stay tonight," I say trying to keep the panic at bay.

"Of course you can stay here tonight, come on let's get something warm in you... you look really cold."

I nod and follow after him.

Sitting by the window, I nestle in the worn out brown couch with a cup of hot chocolate. Taking a slow sip, I think through everything that has happened. What am I going to do now? How will I ever get Jacob back now? A lonely tear falls from my eyes as I recall all the things Christian said to me. How he would help me...How he would protect me? They are both probably laughing at me right now... How stupid can I be for trusting him? Oh dear god, I slept with him. I want to crawl into a hole and die. I need to come up with a plan soon because I cannot stick around here much longer than tonight. Checking my jacket pockets; I count the money I find to see how much I have. Fifty dollars... placing it back into the pocket, I check the other one and my phone comes to view. I hold it for a while until it lights up; five missed calls and two voicemails. I am tempted to listen to them, but I decide against it.

My head is pounding. I rub my temples and tilt my head back attempting to relieve the boiling tension until Father Gabriel walks in and sits beside me. "Ana is everything alright?" He asks fixing his old black framed glasses." I am concerned you seem... Worried, different."

"I met someone.., "I say looking at him. "I trusted him and now I think that was a mistake," I whisper.

"How about you tell me what's going on, maybe I can help you?" His kind brown eyes make me want to open up to him. Father Gabriel was the only person I could tell anything. He was non-judgmental and he was known to give pretty good advice.

"I wish I could, but it's too dangerous," I tell him as I stare down at my almost empty cup. "But there is something you can do for me."

He gives me a nod that tells me it's okay.

The New York Port Authority bus station was noisy and packed full of people, so I am careful to look around at every turn. I can't kick the feeling that someone is watching me. Pulling my baseball cap down lower to keep my face covered, I check my ticket again. I have 10 minutes until departure and I am riddled with anxiety. Taking a seat in the waiting area, I reach for my cell phone and begin to type Christian a text that I will send at exactly 8:59; not a minute earlier. Multiple things come to mind, but I have to keep it short and simple. Finally satisfied with what I have written, I count down the minutes. At 8:58, I stand up and look around one more time to make sure no one is following me. I press send and pitch the phone in the trash and walk to Terminal A...to the bus that is going to take me to my new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment