Tuesday 16 June 2015

Chapter Four: Earned It


Christian opens the door and stands back to let me in. I gaze at him once more. Taking a deep breath I walk in. Wow... Just... Wow, this room is incredible. My eyes go wide as I look around. The first thing I notice is the smell; vanilla or maybe cinnamon. The king size bed looks truly comfortable. It's different from the rest of the house, with creamy white walls and beige furniture. The room feels warm and cozy.

"You can sleep here Ana." He says running a hand through his already messy hair. "Gail left things you'll need in the bathroom and there are clothes for you in the closet. I hope they fit."

Gail? I want to ask him who that is, but I do not know whether I should. Without thinking about it more I go for it. "Gail?" I secretly hope it is not his girlfriend.

"My housekeeper," Christian whispers as if his shameful. "Anyways, do you need anything before I let you settle down?"

Swallowing hard, I try to listen to everything he's saying, but my body is numb so all I can do is stand here pretending to listen.

"Ana did you hear what I just said?"

"I can't." The words come out without thinking twice.

"You can't what?" Christian asks, lifting an eyebrow.

"This is too much I can't repay you." I answered, fighting the tears back.

"You don't have to repay me Ana."

I move to the end of the bed and have a seat so I can really think all of this through. "I just don't understand."

"What don't you understand?" he asks.

"I just do not understand why someone like you would want to help me? Look at me, I'm dirty and worthless. I have nothing to give you in return."

Moving away from the door frame Christian's eyes meet mine, "Please don't talk about yourself that way."

"It's the truth," I say looking down avoiding his eyes.

Christian sits down beside me on the bed, taking a minute to think what to say next.

"I knew a girl like you a while back... You remind me of her."

"So this is what you…do help homeless girls?" I abruptly stand up and head for the door. Is this a joke to him?

"Wait, no Ana fuck... I used to be homeless too."

I stand still looking at Christian, who was now pale as a ghost.

"Don't lie to me look at this place."

"I do not like talk about it, but yes, I used to be homeless. My hard work has brought me here Ana." He says as he stands; slight pain in his eyes, making my heart hurt a little bit. "You need to sleep. You look exhausted, and we'll talk about all of this tomorrow. I have a proposition for you."

I open my mouth to stop him from leaving to demand to know what he's propositioning, but he moved toward the door faster than the words could come out.

                               ~.~.~

As I wake, I smell bacon and my stomach grumbles with hunger. I could really get used to waking up in a warm, dry bed. I stretch my arms and yawn, debating whether to get up or sleep a bit longer. However, the awful noises coming from my stomach win. I stand to go into the bathroom; I'd been holding it for a while...not wanting to get out of the warmth and comfort of the bed. After taking care of business, I head for the shower.

Taking my own sweet time, I let myself enjoy the shower. I do not know if I'll be able to savor a long shower again. The bathroom fills with steam and when my hands started to wrinkle I drag myself. I grasp a fluffy white towel feeling the soft cotton, surprised at how warm it was. I touched another one and it felt as, warm too- rich people and their cool stuff. Laughing out loud, I reckon how different this is from my life and how I wished it was different.

I get out of the bathroom and into the closet which was mostly empty. Tilting my head to the left, I find a pair of blue jeans, a white blouse and a set of black panties lay on top of the tall white dresser. I am grateful for for all of his help and for the clothes he's given me, not only last night, but also for this outfit. It's been years since I was able to have anything new. Usually, I went to the local church where Father Gabriel would let me take a pick of used clothes he'd get from donations. This was a rarity for me...Like Christmas morning, something new to wear. Not that I ever got anything for Christmas, but I assume this is the way that it feels. Dressing quickly, I walk out of the empty closet feeling refreshed and different.

"Good morning Ana, take a seat." He says's placing a plate of scrambled eggs, bacon and toast on the breakfast bar.

Sitting down, I lick my lips in anticipation of this delicious breakfast.

"I hope that you found everything you needed. If not I can get Gail to pick up something."

"No.. you don't need to. I mean... thanks for the clothes." I struggle with the words.

He softly laughs, "Orange juice?"

"Yes, please."

Reaching for my fork, I take my first bite of scrambled eggs. "Did you make all of this?"

Christian takes a seat on the bar stool next to me, placing his cup of coffee down on the table as he turns to face me. I can't stop myself from looking at him. He could be a male model if he wanted to. That's how sexy he is.

"Yes, I do most of the cooking. Gail only comes around two times a week to help with the cleaning." He tells me. " I hope it tastes okay."

"It's delicious. Thank you for doing this." I smile, grabbing my toast and taking a bite. "So can we talk about this proposition now?"

"Don't you want to finish eating first?"

I shake my head.

"Fine have it your way." He laughs and places his fork down.

"I want to help you Ana," He tells me, but I already knew that. "I want to give you an opportunity to better yourself. If you want the room you slept in can be yours."

"My room… you'd let me move in?" Unable to hide the shock in my voice, I swallow the last of my scrambled eggs.

"With one condition; you have to get a job or go to school," he adds, his voice quiet.

"I'll sleep here?"

"Yes, Ana, that's what moving in means."

"No."

"How can you say no to a chance like this?" His eyes are reprimanding.

"You don't even know me." I say as I am looking for the front door, counting how many steps it would take for me to run out of here. "I don't want to be your charity case Christian."

"I'm barely ever here. I travel a lot. You won't see me too often and we can work something out."

My eyes almost pop out of my head. How dare he propose this? "I will not sleep with you for a place to live."

Christian's face paled at my words. "Wait... no, that's not what I'm saying. You can work for me; you can stay here until you find somewhere else to stay."

I relax immediately at hearing him say that. Jumping off the bar stool, I reach for my hoodie I'd left on the couch the night before and move in the direction of the door.

"It wouldn't be right for me to say yes, but thank you for all you've done for me. It was really nice, but I better get going."

Christian stood up quickly coming after me. "Stay."

Ignoring his request, I open the door and move towards the elevator. However, Christian was behind me in seconds, holding a white card.

"At less take this if you ever need anything, I'm a phone call away."

I nodded as the elevator doors open and I step inside. Taking a long look at the card, I shake my head and place it on my pocket.

"Be careful." Christian shouted as the doors closed.

Taking the elevator down to the first floor, I smiled at the doorman when he let me out to the street with a flourish. The moment I stepped outside, the awful cold sends a shiver up my spine. Reaching deep into my jean pockets, I pulled my money out counting it for the tenth time.

I walk across the street and stand at the bus stop. I need to see on Jacob; he'll worry if he doesn't hear from me soon.

Praying for the bus to show up before I freeze to death, I stare at the building hoping Christian doesn't come out and see me standing here. I need to get out of here. Despite everything that happened last night, I cannot allow him to help me anymore, it wouldn't be right. I would never be able to reimburse him back for all he's done. My attention is brought back when a beautiful red Aston martin car pulls in front of the building catching my eye. What I would do in order to have a car like that. A tall, slim blonde gracefully steps out, fixing her beige knee-length skirt. She looks very familiar... Wait, she's the rude blonde from the party.

The doorman opens the door for her and she ignores him. The realization of seeing her and knowing she is here to see Christian sends a hint of jealousy through my body. I don't know why I care, but I hate the idea of them being together. They were too different. I try hard to stop thinking about it; I wouldn't blame him for being with her. She is truly beautiful and classy looking, not like me.

                                ~.~.~

An hour later, I push through the revolving doors of the train station and head toward the spot where I know Jacob will be sitting. As soon as I turn the corner my eyes quickly find Jacob. Jacob was a boy who rarely looked anything less than absolutely happy on any day of his life. Despite the fact it's not always the greatest, he continually finds a reason to smile. The few times I'd bring up the subject to him, he'd give me the most amazing answer. I can still remember his exact words 'Because if I stop smiling, I'll have nothing left. '

For only being 13, Jacob was an old soul stuck in a little boy's body. Dark-haired and blue-eyed, he was definitely a cutie.


"Hey," I call out as I get closer. "What are you doing?"

He goes to take a bite of his sandwich and smiles at me. No one would know from looking at him that he'd spent his childhood bouncing around between his drug addicted mother and foster homes. He had fled from his last foster home where he'd live with an abusive man. However, he didn't act out or do things you'd expect a boy like him to do after the harsh life he had. You couldn't even tell he was homeless. His clothes weren't dirty due to the fact he would help an older woman clean the Laundromat on Sundays and was paid with clean clothes.

"Where were you last night?" He asked, wrapping half of his sandwich and placing it into a plastic bag.

"It's a long story...Did you get into the shelter?" I asked, attempting to divert the conversation away from me.

"Yes, I did. We had pancakes for breakfast." A huge smile took over his face.

I laughed at his facial expression.

"Are you ready to go? We better start walking if we want to get in tonight." Jacob asked, putting his belongings into the blue backpack I got him for his last birthday.

I grab his arm, checking the time on his outdated, barely functioning watch. It was just a bit after five p.m. People started lining up at six, so if we wished to get in we needed to hurry up. There were only 20 spots and usually, they went fast.

"Yeah, let's go."

The walk to the downtown shelter left me feeling exhausted, I couldn't wait to get inside and have something to eat. When we turned the corner, my heart broke a little bit. There was a long line and I knew the chance of us getting in was slim to none.

"It's okay Ana, maybe Father Gabriel will have room," Jacob says, taking my hand and squeezing it gently.

Four blocks later and more bad news as we found ourselves sitting on the steps of the church. It was getting dark and I had no place to sleep AGAIN.

"Are you hungry?" I ask Jacob even though I knew the answer.

I remember the coffee shop from yesterday. Standing, I reach for his hand and head that way.

                               ~.~.~


"Wow, are you sure you can afford this," Jacob asks, licking his lips at the sight of the different pastries.

"Don't worry about it. Pick whatever you want," I insisted even though I knew I couldn't afford it.

Jacob moves back and forth checking out all the pastries on display.

"What can I get for you?" The brunette behind the counter says as she gives Jacob a dirty look while chewing her gum…very loud.

Jacob pointed at the chocolate cake.

"We'll take two slices of chocolate cake." Not loving the way she is looking at us, I try to hold back the attitude.

The woman debates whether or not she's going to serve us. "It's $4.59 a slice, are you sure you want that one?"

Rage takes over and suddenly all I see is red. How dare she speak to us like that? We didn't ask her how much it was. I restrain myself from jumping across the counter and teaching her to be nice.

"I didn't ask how much it was," I hissed.

The manager came out of the back and I was prepared to tell her exactly how horrible her employee is.

"I don't think you can afford anything in here." The rude woman said.

"What's going on?" The manager looks at us and then her worker.

"I asked for two slices of cake and she won't serve us."

The manager looks behind me to see a line of people waiting to be helped.

"I don't think this is a place for you. There's a McDonald's across the street." She said pointing to the door.

That was it. I was prepared to jump across the counter and demand respect, when a hand touched my shoulder, pulling me back. As I turn, ready to fight whoever was touching me, I am met by the last person I'd hope to see again.

"Let's go Ana this place sucks any way." Christian says as he stares at the women behind the counter.

When I didn't move, he grabs me at the waist and leads me out.

"Let go of me," I shout.

"Don't let them get to you Ana."

Yeah, it was easy for him to say. He doesn't get kicked out of restaurants and people don't give him dirty looks.

"Let's go Jacob." I reach for his hand and starting to walk.

"Wait. Why won't you let me help you?" Christian shouts from behind me.

"Because you don't know me and all of a sudden you want to be my guardian angel."

"What's wrong with having a guardian angel?" Jacob asks, getting in the middle of the conversation.

"Yeah, listen to Jacob; he seems to be a very smart boy."

I continue walking, dragging Jacob behind me.

"I know you don't have a place to sleep tonight," Christian says as he shoves his hand into his jeans pocket.

"That's none of your business." Now, I'm irritated.

"Fine, but if you don't care enough about yourself, you should at least do it for him."

How dare he insinuate that I do not give a damn Jacob? He's the only family I have. I would do anything for him. I stop walking. Alright, if he is looking for a fight, that's what he'll get.

I turned around pointing a finger at him. "How dare you, you know nothing about us."

"But I want to."

Jacob pulls on my sleeve wanting to get my attention.

"He looks like a nice guy, and it's getting late."

"Jacob stay out of this." I say immediately regretting it. "Sorry didn't mean to be rude to you." Fine only for tonight though." I add.

Christian smiled knowing he had won this battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment